Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homemade Veggie burgers w/ roasted sweet potato and zucchini

Looks like I have been slacking a bit on blogging, so my apologizes if you look forward to what's next on my mind. Especially since you never know what crazy things may free itself from that place.......Before going raw and making the final decision to become a vegetarian one thing I did enjoy was a good veggie burger, but I rather make my own vs. the store brought that has preservatives and excess sodium. So for the first time that is exactly what I did today. I must admit that I added more ingredients than intended, but the burger came out pretty good. Now with that said the next time I will leave out an ingredient because I am not exactly sure about the texture. Next time I would like to play with using oatmeal or lentils in the recipe vs. whole wheat flour. Ok, enough with the long wind, and here is the recipe for today's burger. 

Oh, but first you may want to chop the sweet potato and zucchini, sprinkle with a tablespoon of coconut oil, toss, and roast on 350 degrees for approx 40-45 mins.

Veggie Burger Ingredients:

 Black beans
Onion
Green peppers
Orange pepper
Corn (cut from the cob)
Cilantro
Spinach
Carrot pulp (chopped up carrots will also work)
Rice
Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Paprika 
Whole wheat flour
Olive oil

Directions:

  • Blend or mash the black beans
  • Blend or chop to your liking the following: Onions, green & orange peppers, cilantro, and spinach
  • Place ingredients into a bowl, add rice,carrot pulp, (or chopped blended carrot), sprinkle approx 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour, and mix together with a fork
  • Season with fresh ground pepper, and paprika to taste
  • Drizzle with 1/2 spoon of olive oil
  • Mix all ingredients together , and make burger patties.
  • **If they are not sticking together well you can add more mash black beans, rice or sprinkle a little more flour into the mix. 
  • Heat olive oil in pan or oil of your choice, and cook on medium for approx 5 mins on each side. When I cooked the other side I covered the pan with a lid. 

















***I also baked the other two burgers, and I did not like the texture. I think it was because of the flour which is why earlier I stated that next time I will try something other than the flour. Plus, the flavors were not pulled from burgers baked like it did in the pan. Just being honest!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment